Kaya practices in the areas of education law, employment law, and general civil litigation, defending matters before state and federal courts. Kaya focuses her law practice in education where she represents school boards across Tennessee. Specifically, Kaya counsels boards of education on issues such as employee discipline and termination, student discipline, and special education. Kaya regularly assists clients in drafting new board policies as well.
Kaya graduated from the University of Tennessee College of Law in May 2016. During law school, she completed the concentration in advocacy and dispute resolution. Kaya was a member of the Phi Alpha Delta, Sanford Chapter Mock Trial Team and the Moot Court program. Kaya was also elected Representative At Large for the Student Bar Association. Ms. Porter worked as a Research Editor for the Tennessee Journal of Law and Policy, and was a member of the Tennessee Journal of Race, Gender, & Social Justice as well.
Kaya earned certificates of academic excellence in Trial Practice and Right to Counsel. Notably, Kaya received the 2015 Tennessee Attorney General Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy. She worked as a summer associate for the firm’s Nashville office during the summer of 2015.
A native of Conyers, Georgia, Kaya earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in 2013 from The University of Georgia Honors Program. There, she majored in Political Science with a minor in Communication Studies.
- Lawyers’ Association for Women
- Nashville Bar Association
- Napier-Looby Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Nashville Emerging Leaders (NEL) Class of 2020
- Named to Super Lawyers’ 2019 Rising Stars Award
- Two-time recipient of the Nashville Bar Association’s President Award for significant work in diversity, 2018 and 2019
- Nashville’s Top 30 Under 30, 2019 Honoree; 2020 Mentor
- Chair of the Nashville Bar Association’s Diversity Committee, 2018-2020
- Recording Secretary of the Napier-Looby Bar Association, 2018-2019
- Emerging Leaders for KIPP Nashville