John King is a senior shareholder in Lewis Thomason’s Knoxville office. He is a preeminent AV rated lawyer having been AV rated over 30 years. He has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for the past five years. Mr. King has substantial experience in tort and commercial litigation in both state and federal courts. Mr. King’s current primary practice areas are in zoning, land use, governmental contracting, business transactions and administrative law. He represents clients in waste disposal, manufactured housing and residential/commercial development businesses. Mr. King represents clients on regulatory matters at the state and local levels and also represents clients on legislative issues at the state level.
Mr. King served as Commissioner of Revenue for the State of Tennessee in 1979-1980, with responsibility for the administration of all state tax laws, as well as providing research support for fiscal impact statements on legislative proposals submitted to the legislature. In 1983, Mr. King served as Governor Lamar Alexander’s liaison to the Legislature. For the period of 1981-1989 Mr. King served as a member of and as chairman of the Board of the Tennessee Housing Development, by appointment of the Governor.
Mr. King is a mediator for the Federal District Courts, Eastern Division. In addition, Mr. King serves as mediator on complex litigation matters and on cases involving land use and condemnation issues.
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Knoxville Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Fellow, Knoxville Bar Foundation
- Listed in Business TN Magazine’s Best 100 Lawyers in State, 2004, 2005
- Listed in the Business TN Magazine’s Best 150 Lawyers edition, 2006-2009
- Named to “The Best Lawyers in America®,” 2012 – 2019
- Former Chairman, Tennessee Ethics Commission