Michael S. Goode, special counsel in the firm’s Nashville office, focuses his practice on the tax, business, and estate planning needs of families and businesses. On an international level, he also assists companies and individuals with their corporate and estate planning needs, including the resolution of reporting requirements. Michael serves as a trusted advisor to governmental agencies, and both small and large companies on various taxation issues.
Michael has extensive experience in preparing estate and business succession plans for a variety of clients both large and small, including those with closely held family businesses, large retirement accounts, and complex legal issues. He works directly with advisors, banks, and trust companies to provide innovative solutions to clients’ wealth preservation needs.
Michael prepares and reviews lease agreements, contracts, estoppels, and SNDAs. He has prepared corporate and tax provisions for large merger and acquisition transactions.
Michael represented a school district before the IRS under the Voluntary Correction Program and successfully resolved its pension plan’s operational failures without penalty to the school district and he wrote new pension legislation. Michael served as the business attorney for a mid-sized Asian company purchasing its first United States factory and assisted a European executive with his foreign account reporting issues and negations with the IRS.
- American Bar Association, member
- Atlanta International Tax Study Group, member
- Georgia Bar Association, member
- Nashville Bar Association
- Nashville No Name Tax Group, Member
- Tennessee Chamber of Commerce, Tax Committee, member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Estate Planning and Probate Section, Chair
- Tennessee Bar Association, International Section Executive Council Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Tax Section, Immediate Past President
- Tennessee World Affairs Council, Member
- Tennessee Federal Tax Institute, Trustee, Board of Trustees
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Tax Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Georgia Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2009, 2011-14)