Peter B. Winterburn is a shareholder in the Memphis office of Lewis Thomason. He concentrates his practice in Long Term Care defense and medical malpractice defense litigation. Mr. Winterburn has represented physicians, skilled nursing facilities, and assisted living facilities in Tennessee and Mississippi throughout his career. He also maintains a general civil litigation practice that includes automobile and premises liability, legal malpractice, and appellate practice. Mr. Winterburn has routinely litigated cases in trial courts and through the appellate process involving medical malpractice, Tennessee’s Health Care Liability Act, and Alternative Dispute Resolution Agreements in the health care setting. He has also written Alternative Dispute Resolution Agreements and trained managers and health care providers on arbitration.
Mr. Winterburn is an active member of the Defense Research Institute’s Medical Liability and Health Care Law committee, which is responsible for planning DRI’s Nursing Home/ALF Seminar each year, among other substantive seminars. He previously served as the 2018 Program Chair for the DRI Nursing Home/ALF Seminar in New Orleans.
Mr. Winterburn plays the bassoon and was a member of the Memphis Youth Symphony Orchestra. While attending Vanderbilt University, he played in the Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, and various chamber groups at the Blair School of Music. When not practicing law, he enjoys working on lowering his handicap, staying physically fit, and performing with the Germantown Symphony Orchestra.
- Defense Research Institute
- LTC Risk-Legal Forum
- Memphis Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Named on the list of “Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Stars,” 2016-2017
- Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, Dean’s Distinguished Service Award, 2006
- Member, Moot Court Board, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law
- Editor-in-Chief, Tennessee Journal of Practice and Procedure, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law