Tyler Smith, special counsel, is a lifelong Tennessean who is in the firm’s Knoxville office. Mr. Smith has extensive experience representing employers in the defense of workers’ compensation claims through trial and administrative hearings with the Tennessee Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. He has obtained numerous positive results for employers on issues of medical causation, last injurious exposure, notice, statute of limitations, independent contractor, drug free workplace, and termination for cause.
Mr. Smith also devotes a significant portion of his practice to insurance and casualty defense, primarily representing professionals in response to negligence claims, defending business and property owners in response to premises liability complaints, defense of personal injury claims, and other complex civil litigation. Mr. Smith has obtained successful results through defense verdicts, summary judgment and mediation in jury and non-jury matters throughout Tennessee.
Mr. Smith is an avid sports fan and played baseball collegiately at Tennessee Tech University. He now lives in the Farragut area with his wife and their three children, and is actively involved with community service and mission programs through their church, Concord United Methodist.
- Defense Research Institute
- Knoxville Bar Association
- Mid-South Workers’ Compensation Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Inns of Court
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Products Liability, evidence, and Trial Advocacy
- Dean’s Award for Excellence Best Appellate Brief
- University of Memphis Law Review
- Judicial Extern for Honorable Bernice B. Donald formerly of U.S. District Court, Western Tennessee, and Sixth Circuit of Appeals