David N. Garst is a shareholder in the firm’s Nashville office. He is chair of the firm’s Construction Law Practice Group and serves on the firm’s Board of Directors. Mr. Garst practices principally in construction law, focusing on architects and engineers professional liability, construction defect litigation, construction contract law, professional discipline, and commercial litigation.
For more than 30 years, Mr. Garst has represented general and specialty contractors, architects, engineers, surveyors, suppliers, and building owners on a variety of construction projects, both locally and regionally. He has substantial experience in the defense of design professionals, and has represented architects and engineers in hundreds of claims, lawsuits, arbitration matters, and disciplinary proceedings. He also has represented numerous general and specialty contractors on construction defect claims, payment disputes, liens, and disciplinary and licensing matters.
Mr. Garst is active in many construction industry organizations. He writes and edits for the Tennessee Construction Law Journal and has participated as advocate or neutral in the arbitration of many disputes.
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Foundation
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- The Jefferson Society
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Best Lawyers® 2020 Construction – Litigation “Lawyer of the Year” in Nashville
- Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Selected by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell as Elite Lawyer of the South, 2018
- Selected and listed in “2016 Top Rated Lawyers in Construction Law”, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rating
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Construction Law – Litigation – Construction
- Best Lawyers in Nashville
- Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Fellow, Nashville Bar Foundation
- Premium Member, CLM
- Board Member Emeritus, Past President, Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel, Inc.
- Presidential Award of Excellence – AIA Tennessee (2015)
- Presidential Award of Merit for Distinguished Service – AIA Tennessee (1997)
- General Counsel, Middle Tennessee Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
- Board Member, Associated General Contractors of Tennessee, 2011 – 2013
- Elected Officer, Middle Tennessee Branch of the Associated General Contractors of America, 2008 – 2014
- Member, Tennessee Association of Plumbing, Heating and Cooling Contractors
- Member, Associated Builders and Contractors
- Member, Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers
- Professional Member, Construction Specifications Institute
- Chapter Technical Excellence Award – CSI Knoxville
- Committee Member, XL Design Professional Insurance Company Contract Guide