Kati Sanford Goodner is a member of Lewis Thomason’s Business & Commercial and Tax Practice Groups and is based in the firm’s Knoxville office. Commercial Litigation and Tax Controversy are Kati’s primary focus, although her experience and practice routinely includes Estate and Trust Litigation, Conservatorships, and the representation of small businesses in matters ranging from formation issues to shareholder disputes and litigation. After building her practice defending pharmaceutical and products liability cases, Kati transitioned her litigation practice to the commercial and tax realm, where she represents taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service in both civil and criminal tax matters. She is adept at handling complex litigation, having significant experience in numerous MDL cases, both in Tennessee and across the country, and routinely works with experts ranging from accountants to highly-specialized physicians and professional engineers.
A small, but important, niche portion of her practice includes Adoptions, both domestic and international.
Kati is admitted to practice in all state courts in Tennessee, as well as the Eastern and Middle Districts of Tennessee and the United States Tax Court. She is a member of the Knoxville, Tennessee, and American Bar Associations. Currently, Kati enjoys serving as Executive Editor for TortSource, the quarterly publication for the Tort and Insurance Practice Section of the ABA and serving as the ABA YLD Liason to TIPS Publications. She is a board member of both the Young Lawyer Division of the TBA (Mock Trial Co-Chair) and East Tennessee Lawyers’ Association for Women (Secretary).
- American Bar Association
- Knoxville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2018
- District 3 (Knoxville) Representative for the Young Lawyers Division of the Tennessee Bar Association 2014-2017
- Editor for TortSource quarterly publication of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the ABA 2015-present
- Co-Chair for the Volunteer Breakfast Committee, Barristers division of the Knoxville Bar Association 2016
- Membership Chair, Board of East Tennessee Lawyer’s Association for Women (ETLAW) 2014-2017
- Co-Chair for Knox County Mock Trial, Barristers division of the Knoxville Bar Association 2012
- Member-At-Large, Barristers division of the Knoxville Bar Association 2014-2015
- Member of DRI since 2010
- University of Tennessee Law Scholar Recipient
Outside the office, Ms. Goodner enjoys being actively involved in the children’s and adoption ministries at Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church. Kati is an avid equestrian and enjoys traveling with her husband, Nathan.