Janet Hayes, a Shareholder in the Knoxville office, is an advocate for employers and businesses across the state. Her practice focuses on employment and appellate law.
Ms. Hayes has successfully defended all types of employment claims including sexual harassment, retaliatory discharge, discrimination, workers’ compensation, invasion of privacy, wage/hour claims, and denial of benefits. She has also argued multiple issues in each of Tennessee’s appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of Tennessee. She has argued federal appeals in the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
With over 20 years of litigation experience, Ms. Hayes now devotes most of her time to developing litigation-avoidance strategies for her clients. She drafts client-specific employee handbooks, policies, and employment contracts to provide legal compliance while enhancing business success. She also conducts manager/supervisor training classes and compliance audits. Employers frequently call upon Ms. Hayes to conduct formal investigations of employee complaints and allegations of internal wrongdoing. Her investigations have included allegations of sexual harassment, age discrimination, embezzlement, misappropriation of time, abuse of leave policies, and generalized claims of mismanagement and unprofessional conduct.
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Knoxville Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Employment Law-Management, Litigation-Labor and Employment
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Member, ALFA International Employment Law Steering Committee
- Frequent speaker and panel discussion moderator at ALFA events
- Board of Trustees of Carson-Newman College (Prior Board Chair)
- Previous member, Board of Directors of Baptist Health Systems
- Previous member, Board of Directors of Mercy Health Partners
- Named one of Knoxville’s “40 Under 40″ in 2008
- Named a Cityview Magazine “Top Attorney” for eight years
Ms. Hayes is actively involved in the community. She is active in her church where she teaches and serves on several committees and teams.